It’s no secret by now that Teen Wolf is one of my & Salty’s favourite movies of all time. When we decided upon the name of “Toehider Too!” for EP #4 of the “12 EPs in 12 months” project, we knew we had to incorporate some references and quotes into the music and art. The following is a list, to my memory, of all of them thus far.
1. “Toehider Too!” is a reference to “Teen Wolf Too!”, the horrible sequel to the film. It stars Jason Bateman as Scott Howard’s cousin (I think). Interestingly, Jason’s sister Justine plays Michael J. Fox’s sister in the TV show “Family Ties”.
Ok maybe that’s not very interesting.
2. The cover to “Toehider Too!" is an homage to the "Teen Wolf" cover.
3. The first song “It Landed On My Face” is a line from the movie, where Scott transforms into the wolf for the first time and he’s angry at his Dad for never telling him
4. In the song “Lie Still” (which is in itself a song about turning into a werewolf), the lyric “these waves are mine” is again taken from the film in the scene where Scott wants to surf on top of a van.
5. In the song “I Must Say Yes”, the line “it’s not like everything else was cream cheese” is taken from the excellent advice that Coach Finstock gives Scott
6. The title of the song “Why Are Things So Heavy in the Future?" is taken from Marty’s reaction to… oh wait that’s Back to the Future. Sorry, I get them mixed up sometimes.
7. In the song “The Most Popular Girl in School”, there’s a line that says “freaks stick with their kind”, which is based on what Mick says to Scott at the school dance. I can’t find it on YouTube though, you’ll have to buy the DVD for that. Interestingly, I got the idea for this song from a song on a movie called “Teen Witch”, which is kind of an unofficial sequel to the Teen Wolf saga. I watched it with my then-girlfriend who didn’t like Teen Wolf, but loved Teen Witch and so we watched it together and yes it was good.
8. In my “Wuthering Heights" cover, I am wearing a "WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING AT DICKNOSE" shirt, which is the same shirt Stiles is wearing… at school! Again, I can’t find a clip of that, so you’ll just have to buy the DVD. And buy the shirt. For the Toehider pozible campaign, I had a bunch of “WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING AT TOEHIDER" shirts made as part of a reward.
Ok I think that’s it. I can confirm at this stage that the title for the next Toehider album will be once again a quote the film. CAN YOU GUESS WHICH ONE?